Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Is it safe to highlight hair during first trimester?

Hi,


When I found out that I was pregnant, I told my doctor that I had been coloring my hair and wanted to know if it was safe to keep doing it during pregnancy. She told me to wait until after the first trimester. At the time, I didn't ask any further questions because the baby comes first. But one month later- yikes!!! My roots are terrible. Just wondering, did anyone whose doctor told them not to use all over color during the first trimester recommend a safe alternative (i.e., highlights?) Please don't write just to tell me that it is ';always'; or ';never'; safe during any time of pregnancy, since I'm trying to follow Dr.'s guidelines about being more cautious during the first trimester. Thanks, ladies =)Is it safe to highlight hair during first trimester?
I would say that it would be safer for you to highlight your hair insted of an all over color. If you can use sun in on it and sit outside or rinse it in lemon juice and stay outside on a sunny day this will help give you natural highlights without chemicals.Is it safe to highlight hair during first trimester?
Well, I decided to wait for my third trimester to color my hair, but I'm sure it depends on many factors. There are ammonia free colorants, but sounds like you must be going several shades lighter, which means much harsher chemicals. If you decide that you MUST color, then make sure you are in a very well ventilated area, and maybe opt for a color closer to your natural color so that you can do without the bleach.
I actually was told by my OB that highlights were a good alternative to all over hair color in pregnancy. They did suggest that i keep it to just the top layer and not all over high lights. If you are worried about the chemicals, most hair stylists know of products that they can use that are lower in amonia. I hope this helps.
i had the same problem but i just waited till after the 12 weeks then i dyed it darker back to my natural colour for the rest of my pregnancy. i would wait if i was you, peroxide cant be good for the baby - having said that i have a girlfriend who dyed her hair blonde all the way through (even first trimester) but i wouldn't want to take the chance! tie your hair up its not that long!!
no its not good to even highlight during the first trimester at least...as after 10mins the chemicals can be detected in your urine...so imagine it would have gone to your baby as well...


the first trimester is critical..
Highlighting is actually safer than coloring because the chemical never really touches your scalp. That's what my doctor told me. Although I've had really bad nausea and haven't been able to stomach the idea of that awful smell. But you should be fine highlighting.
I dyed my hair 2 times with this pregnancy my babys fine i just had my cousin do it when i was outside that way the smell doesnt bother me..
I've always heard your not supposed to be around those kind of chemicals. So i'd stay away from it until your little one gets here!
No I was told not to.
Your roots can wait a couple weeks. really. I was extremely, like level 11 blonde and my roots were effing GROSS and i was just like whatever, as soon as i hit 14 weeks i just went all dark. Highlights usually need bleach, and bleach isnt really that great to use in the first trimester. HOWEVER highlights in a foil should be safe because they dont touch your scalp- so that would be a great alternative to all over, on scalp color. I asked my stylist and she personally wont do an all over color job on a woman who is in the first trimester. also, the color likely wont be what your used to. Your hair changes when youre pregnant. also, DONT use sun in. if your hair is damaged from bleach and dye already, sun in will seal the deal on damaged hair...its a metallic bunch of nonsense (most box dyes and stuff they sell in stores is) and it will really eff up your hair, especially if youre blonde.
  • myspace pictures
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment